We all ask ourselves what the purpose of life is. More specifically, what the purpose of our life is.
I think everyone’s purpose in life is to be happy and do whatever we need to do to find that joyful feeling within ourselves.
This purpose will look different for everyone, as we all define happiness in a different way. It might be a certain feeling, something you love to do and this of course varies from human to human.
Figuring out what it is that makes you happy sounds really simple. Sometimes pursuing your purpose means reassessing your life and making changes. And that’s difficult. But it’s also worth it.
- Let’s look at some questions: If no one else had any opinion about this, how would you feel? Is the fear of failure, or of success, standing in the way? If nobody’s feelings could get hurt, what would you do? Will you survive even if it doesn’t work out?
- Remember what you loved as a child. I always wanted to be a writer. And what brings me joy and makes me happy today is exactly that, writing. What were your childhood dreams? What did you want to be as a child?
- Take note of when you feel joy. What are you doing? Moments where joy is the purest for me is when I get to spend my time with people I hold close to my heart. It’s that feeling of understanding, belonging, exchange, love, inspiration and laughter that light me up. In which moments do you feel that kid of joy?
- Realize when you’re avoiding something or someone. It might be time to let go and make room for new things that will bring you happiness. This can be a very difficult process. I know, I’ve been there. But I can also tell you it feels much lighter afterwards and leaves you with more time to do the things that bring you joy.
- Reconsider the givens in your life. Givens can be anything from going to college to working in a 9-5 job, owning a home, getting married, having kids or owning a car. But none of these should be requirements to be seen as a human being worthy of love and respect. Review these obligations and figure out if it might be time to free yourself from some of them. Perhaps you always wanted to do something out of the ordinary, like building your own small business and traveling the world?
Purpose and happiness go hand in hand. Make your joy and happiness a priority – always.
My purpose is to be happy and leave this world a happier place. What is your purpose in life? I’d love to hear about it!