Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.Robert Brault
Do you sometimes feel controlled by life instead of the other way around? Controlled by goals that society sets and that you simply take on yourself, because that’s what’s expected?
I know how hard it can be to let go of all those stereotypes and expectations we are taught in areas of money, status, beauty, or power. But it will be the most liberating feeling to let go and just be.
Life is not defined by those big goals. Even though you may achieve them throughout life, the fleeting moments of feeling successful and happy will not satisfy you in the long run. Life is made up of little things. Day-to-day happenings that too often pass us by, but truly are the important moments we should cherish and treasure. They are the moments in which we find unconditional love and they happen more regularly than you think!
But how to do this? How can you find love in those moments? How can you make sure that they don’t pass you by?
- First of all, and very important in today’s society, don’t fall into the trap of comparing yourself to others. A set of two completely different people make different experiences and also value them in a different way. Each journey is unique and while from the outside they may look alike, they are not on the inside. You are a unique person! So don’t ever feel that you’re running behind or need to change because that’s what’s expected of you. Instead, turn to self-love and know that you are exactly where you need to be on your unique journey in this very moment.
- Turn to yourself for love. Once you have found that special love, tend to it! Know that this is what defines you and your life. Now you’ll be able to find love for everything else in your life. You’ll witness it around you more regularly, because you are love at your core. Once you learn to appreciate yourself, you’ll experience the world around you in a different way. You learn to slow down. More importantly, you are okay to slow down and just witness. Once you have achieved this stage you are able to experience your special moments completely.
- In order to appreciate the present moment we will never need any numbers to quantify a happy and joyful experience. It is about being in this moment and accepting that everything is exactly as it should be. You don’t need your tribe that you share that experience with to like what you’re sharing. Instead you’re sharing it because your heart is so full and the numbers of likes you get will not diminish that feeling in any way.
- The feeling of contentment is one that is often underrated. Everyone longs for that big elusive concept of happiness. So we’re constantly on a search forward instead of slowing down and being in the moment. And I am as guilty of that as everyone else is! I love to plan! I’m always on my next project and I sometimes have a hard time to sit still. However, I also rob myself of such precious moments and memories that pass me by. It is little things, such as my husband making that extra tour into the basement, taking out the trash or finding the right online supermarket that carries the sort of drink I love. He always puts me first. I am so grateful and content, and sometimes, in the haste of my day-to-day I forget about it. Love is in the little things my husband does for me every single day. Joy is in the little things. And at the end of a lifetime, they are the things you will remember.
- And last, but not least, celebrate life more! Celebrate birthdays or chapters in life ending. Welcome new beginnings and make countdowns to times during the year that you cherish most, such as Christmas for me! It’s all about how you view life and what you make of it.
We all have limited time available and we do not know when that time is up. Sp spend it living and soaking up those special moments in life that end up making your life worth it. Tell the people you love that you do so every single day, appreciate them and show them how grateful you are to have them in your life. This is how you find love. In the seemingly little everyday things that make this an extraordinary life.