Follow your bliss and the universe will open a door where there were only wallsJoseph Campbell
Once you have found what truly brings you joy, something you simply love to do and could spend a huge amount of time doing, creativity and passion are at work helping you create things you never thought possible!
However, in this day and age, everyone is so very busy and the first things that get scratched off of our long to do list is the time you use to recharge, be with yourself and do whatever your heart calls you to do.
We all know how it goes:
„If I only had more hours in the day, then I could make it work.“
„I ran out of time or I simply cannot make the time right now.“
Yet, those are only excuses. What you really mean is that this is not a priority for you right know and you’re simply not willing to make it one.
Let me give you an example:
You have a full life, busy with work and friends and you find it difficult to fit time in just for yourself. Then you fall in love. Are you able to make time for that person? Yes, of course you are! But where does that time come from? Right. It’s all about prioritizing! We make time for the things we truly want to make time for. And we’re never too busy to not make this happen!
Life is a one-time offer. You don’t have to go through great adversity, like so many people who have made it in this life, to do the things you love. You have everything you need with you, inside of yourself! Use it well. More importantly, use it now. Change the conversation that is going on in your mind and you’ll be taking your first step in the direction of living a life on your terms where you have time to do the things you love.
Humans have a funny way of thinking that when we lose time that there will be more for us waiting somewhere. We think we have forever. But really, we don’t! Instead it’s about making the most of what you have for the time you have it, because things will not stay the same. Things will change and then the day will come when you wake up and you realize that there is not enough time left to do the things you have always wanted to do. Do them now:
1. This is probably the most difficult of all, but you really need to get clear on what it is that you want. What do you love to do? What lights you up with joy? What do you want to spend more time doing?
Write a bucket list of things you want to make a priority in your life and either plan to do them at one point, such as visiting a certain country or start integrating it into your life slowly. Take the first step, start very small. This transition will be very challenging as you get into the habit of doing something new. Set realistic goals and don’t shoot too high initially. Start with as little as with 5 minutes implementing something new into your life that you felt before you didn’t have time for.
2. Saying NO is very powerful. There will always be people who want something from you. It is perfectly okay to say „No“ in a kind way. Don’t let other people become your priority or try to live up to their expectations only because you were taught that’s what you need to do. You are your own priority! Remember that if you say yes to something this means that you need to say no to something else. So make sure it’s the right thing that you’re saying yes to!
3. You have no idea how much time indulging into Netflix or scrolling through social media takes away from you! Be mindful of this. Limit your intake per day for both TV and social media and see how much time is suddenly available to do the things you love!
Also, turn notification on your phone off and have regular times when you check instead of checking every time your phone buzzes.
4. Use the “in- between” times that you have in the right and most efficient way. When I wait for an appointment at the doctor’s, I always bring a book, because I love reading! For commutes, I have decided to go with podcasts that inspire and teach me something new. Lunch times at work are now sometimes me-time, during which I date myself, sit down and write or go for a walk. Figure out for yourself how you can best use your „in-between“ times.
5. Get up just a little bit earlier in the morning to get an extra 10 minutes at your disposal to try something new. If you’re not a morning person, this might sound a bit daunting. Then add another 10 minutes before going to bed in the evening! Do whatever works best for you. Just make sure that throughout the day you do make room for this!
6. Move your body! Research has shown that if you do so 20-30 minutes per day, even if it’s just a walk around the block, or cycling to work, you will be more productive! This means you’ll have more time on your hands do something that makes you come to life.
7. And last but not least, create a safe haven for yourself, a room, a home, a place in nature that you regularly visit. Whatever works for you! This is where you can always follow your heart and do the things that bring you joy.
How you decide to spend your time will have a tremendous impact on the quality of your life. So what first step will you commit to now to create a life that makes you happy?